WhatsApp UPI Payments feature has now rolled out in India. It’s a much-anticipated feature from the messaging platform, which first tested it out in 2018. After multiple delays, the Facebook-owned platform has finally started rolling out for iOS and Android users running the latest version of WhatsApp.
The National Payments Corporation of India has also approved the WhatsApp payments feature. The corporation has confirmed that WhatsApp can expand its WhatsApp UPI user base in a graded manner. The messaging platform already has around 400 million active users in India. To start with, the corporation has set a limit to rollout the payments feature to 20 million users as part of the graded manner program.
The messaging platform confirms that it is currently working with leading banks across the country that include ICICI Bank, HDFC Bank, Axis Bank, the State Bank of India, and Jio Payments Bank.
There are several other established UPI payments services in India that include Google Pay, Phone Pe, and Amazon Pay and several others as well. WhatsApp will be competing with these prominent players once the final roll out begins across all Android and iOS platforms.
We have received the feature, there’s no specific app update, but users need to be on their latest version of the messaging platform.
How to enable and use WhatsApp Pay?
- As mentioned earlier, a user needs to be running WhatsApp on its latest version/build. Users can check their version in WhatsApp Settings – Help section.
- Heading over to WhatsApp app settings, you will find Payments. It has been quite there for a while ever since the messaging platform started testing this new feature in beta.
- Click on it, and you will find ways to start your first payment. Or, you can add your UPI powered back account right away.
- Tap ‘Send your first payment’ and you shall be greeted with a new interface that setups your bank account.
- Moving further, you will find bank lists to choose from after which you will be asked to verify your mobile number.
Again, this is a fairly traditional setup process if you have set up any UPI service-based app before, Google Pay or Phone Pe, for example.
- After a successful verification process, you’ll get your bank account that can be added to WhatsApp UPI payments feature.
- That’s it, your WhatsApp Payments feature is now active. And, now you will be able to make payments to your WhatsApp contacts. However, the receiving contact has to enrol to this WhatsApp payments feature as well.
- If the payment receiver is not on WhatsApp payments feature, you can still send them money on their UPI ID. Or, you can find their UPI-enabled QR Code, which is handy.
- After following the above steps, users should enter their UPI ID. The same UPI ID, which is already linked to the added bank account to finish the payment.
- After successful payment completion, users can cross-check the payment made in the transaction history as well.
- Further, users can also invite their WhatsApp contacts to enrol to the new payments system. A user can invite them by sending them a WhatsApp message right from the payments feature.